samedi 22 janvier 2011

Being a white with long blond hair in India

1) People trying to cheat you in the touristy places (a milking cow...)

"Hello my friend"
"Hello sir"
"Yes sir"
"Come here"
"Give me money"
"I am an official guide for that temple"
"Come on, that's nothing for you"
"Hand-made craft"

Possible answers to get ride of them:
"No, thanks you": not efficient
"I don't want it": not efficient
Authoritative "No": works reasonably well
"Do you know the meaning of the word no?": works really well with people who can speak English
Ignoring them: works well
A "no" sign with the hand: works generally well

PS: people hassling you to sell you something or people trying to cheat you are a minor part of the Indian people. Most the time, people are fair, they might even refuse a tip!

2) Elsewhere than touristy places (being a white monkey)

People star at you... It becomes really in-comfortable when 30 silent people you don't know are around you...

Although it is fun with kids, and the discussions are always insightful with educated people.




2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Did you try letting them smell your shoes?

I think that is the most efficient.

Donn

Unknown a dit…

Romaric, when I look at you, I see a milking cow AND and white monkey at the same time. It's a very confusing impression you give.