mercredi 26 janvier 2011

Atithi Devo Bhava

"Atithi Devo Bhava" in Sanskrit (original Hindu language) means"Guest is God". In India it is believed that honoring guests equals to honoring God. I had the honor and luck to experiment it for 9 days in Vikas' family, which welcomed me the most respectful way you can imagine. For example, the entire family was waiting for me to be finished with my meal before eating themselves. So if I was finishing all the (brilliant) food, they had no food for them!

Everybody in the village was really interested to meet and to talk to an European with long blond hair, something they've never seen before for the majority of them. Were following interesting and insightful discussions on the (many) differences between European and Indians habits relative to religions, food, family bonds, work, living conditions, comfort... I really hope this was as insightful for them as it was for me!

I got quite sick
(food poisoning, maybe due to some spoiled water?), and had to stay at bed for a couple of days. Even more than usual, people were very considerate about my health. Vikas' mum and aunts tried for no on to adapt their cooking to my feeble European stomach. They where so many other nice things. I really felt at home for that time. Maybe I should replace home by temple, as indeed I have been treated as a god!*

Thanks to all the Maliks (Vikas familly), Vikas parents, uncles, aunts, brothers**, and all the others... and above all to Vikas without whom I would never had the opportunity to live this unique experience!

* I guess the other present European (friends from Fribourg) will confirm this, even if they stayed for a shorter period than I did!
** Viraj (Vikas' brother) offered to all the white guests a personalized present, even if didn't know us... Thanks, that's very considerate!



Aucun commentaire: