mardi 25 août 2009

Zinalrothorn - Traverse S-N

Last week end, we went up Zinalrothorn with Jérome, a 4200m peak in the Valais region. We went up the famous south-west ridge and down the north ridge. This is supposed to be the best climb of its kind in Switzerland. Can't say if it is true or not since it is my first real climb in the region, but I can says it is an excellent climb indeed. The rock is brilliant if you stay on the edge, and the climbing is quite sustained and long. Even the way down the north ridge is a lot of fun, finishing on a nice snowy arete. With the access to the south-west ridge being a steep snow slope, and with some nice glacier travel, this makes a very complete route!

You will tell me, this story seems is a bit boring. So, to make it more interesting, I should say I almost died because of some rock falls in the access couloir. One of about a brick size was going very fast towards me... Luckily, it bounced just in front of me, and went over my head... I might not have been there to tell you if not...

No pics since Jérome's batteries crapped down before the climb. Some info&pics about the mountain are on http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150307./zinalrothorn.html

PS: as Francis told me, Travis is probably jealous of my near-death story! :D

2 commentaires:

Unknown a dit…

Man! Your weekend sounds even more fun than my one of going to the museum with small children. Mine was probably more dangerous though. A six year-old and a four year-old can do more damage to your head than a falling rock any day.

Romaric a dit…

Probably more damaging for the brain, indeed! You can't die, but you definitely loose some neurons!